Before it was renamed after one of its early trustees, Revolutionary War veteran Colonel Henry Rutgers, the university was called Queen's College. At the time, it was an all-male institution affiliated with the Dutch Reformed Church. As the Industrial Revolution necessitated higher education for a growing number of students, Rutgers became New Jersey's land-grant institution in order to meet that need.
In the 20th century, the university expanded significantly. It created the New Jersey College for Women, now Douglass Residential College, in 1918. Two other New Jersey universities, the University of Newark and the College of South Jersey, became part of the Rutgers system not long after the end of World War II. This significant increase in scope has made Rutgers a diverse research university in a wide range of fields.